This session introduces the basics of debt. The course begins by exploring the different sectors of fixed income and identifying the major market participants. Differences between debt and equity are discussed. Throughout the session, commonly used terms in the fixed income markets will be identified and practiced. The features of a fixed income security will be identified.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Describe the features and characteristics of fixed income securities
- Outline broad structure of debt markets
- Differentiate between
- Debt and equity
- Notes/Bonds and money market instruments
- Identify market participants
- Define the following terms:
- Par Value
- Maturity and term to maturity
- Yield to maturity
- Calculate the settlement amount of a trade
- Read bond quotes and identify terms of an individual security
Prerequisites: Suggested but not required
- Fundamentals of the Capital Markets/Securities Industry or equivalent knowledge
Program Level: Foundational
Target Audience: Anyone who wants to learn about fixed income, such as staff from operations, IT, legal, compliance, middle office, or HR, and regulators who work closely with various aspects of the fixed income markets.
Client Testimonial: “I liked the knowledge check questions because the questions were asked in a slightly different manner in which they were taught in the course material. It provoked more thinking in some cases,” said a recent course graduate who ranked the class highly.
Advance Preparation: None
Computers and Financial Calculators: Computers or tablets for viewing and accessing the electronic documents
Recommended CPE Credits: 2.4
Duration: 2 Hours
Time: 1:00-3:00 pm ET